PCC minutes of Meeting of 7th September 2016


pccminutes201411thumbMINUTES of  MEETING 7th SEPTEMBER 2016
download as doc
download as pdf


stmarysseal
TOTNES with BRIDGETOWN

PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL

space
REV’D PREBENDARY JULIAN OULD, CHAIRMAN
MARTIN HARVEY, VICE CHAIRMAN

MINUTES OF MEETING HELD 7 SEPTEMBER 2016
IN ST MARY’S PARISH CHURCH HALL AT 7.30 PM

1. Opening prayer

2. Apologies: Jean Harrop; Diana Brown; Peter Rogers; Pene Key; John Derbyshire.  Attendance list attached to file copy of these minutes.

3. MINUTES OF LAST MEETING 22 JUNE

Amendment: Acoustic Haven will pay £200 and not £500 on a full house.
Minutes agreed.

4. MATTERS ARISING

Sea of Change Festival a great success.  Positive response to St Mary’s Church as a venue. Very encouraging in light of reordering.

Thanks to A Stilwell for temporary repairs to St John’s windows.

Steve Jones to be ordained Sunday 11 September and his first service is the following Sunday at St Mary’s.

5. TREASURER’S REPORT (Accounts attached to file copy of minutes)

As at end of July 2016:
Income £66,469

As at end of July 2015:
Income £73,000

Drop in regular giving at St Mary’s from £13,700 last year to £10,000 this year.  Also a drop in regular giving at St John’s.

Increase in donations at St Mary’s, mainly from The Friends.

Expenditure up to end of July: £62,907
Income exceeding expenditure.

Parish share paid so far this year is £25,000 with £10,000 left to pay.  The PCC is well on the way to meeting its parish share this year.

Current account:   £7,410 (£4,642 this time last year)

Appointment of replacement cleaner at St John’s – there is a proposal that Ann Reynolds, cleaner at St Mary’s, be appointed also to clean St John’s.  The treasurer reported that this would make Ann Reynolds the PCC’s biggest earner and she would be eligible for pension contributions.

P Rogers had asked for written points of concern regarding the church cleaning to be considered in his absence.  In particular that Ann Reynolds had previously requested a reduction of hours and had given up cleaning St Mary’s Parish Hall as the workload was too great and was now looking for more work.  Complaints have been received in the past about the standard of cleaning at St Mary’s although these were not presented formally to her in writing but were conveyed to her by M Harvey informally.

It was agreed that the post should be advertised and all applicants considered equally.  Advertisement to be placed on church notice boards, Bridgetown Stores’ noticeboard, at the Job Centre and in the church newssheet.

Anne to carry on cleaning St John’s on a temporary basis until an appointment is made.

6. RESTORATON AND REORDERING

St Mary’s – Report previously circulated to PCC members from Helen Clark, Fundraiser, copy attached to file copy of minutes.

J Birch read out extract from letter from John Scott, Church Architect, commending the report.  The report emphasises the great importance of community involvement.

C Hair proposed and L Teague seconded that the next steps recommended in the report (ie: to apply for monies to fund project development) be implemented subject to discussion with the churchwardens.  Agreed unanimously.

The Rector stressed the importance of community involvement and that local people will need to be encouraged to see St Mary’s church as a space that can be used by them. He reminded members that originally the church would not just have been used for worship, it would not have contained pews and it would have been used by the town for many practical purposes, including for the local markets.

StJohn’s – M Harvey reported that the further HLF application has been submitted on time and a decision is due in November.  Although many people have been involved, the Rector pointed out that the greater amount of work had been done by John Luscombe to whom most grateful thanks are extended.  The Secretary to write and thank him on behalf of the PCC.

7. CORRESPONDENCE

Letter of thanks received from the Hospital League of Friends for use of outside of St Mary’s Church for their table top sale.

Richard Frost to be proposed as a reader in the team.  A Stilwell proposed and M Harvey seconded the proposal.  Agreed unanimously.

Next Charity Sunday: Sunday 27 November.  Joint service at St John’s in the morning.  Mark Hatch will speak about the new Drop In Centre.  Plate collection to go towards refurbishment of the centre, also the collection from the Advent Carol Service at St Mary’s in the evening.

Duvets and bed linen would be gratefully received by Mark Hatch.  Any condition.

8. FABRIC COMMITTEE REPORT (M Harvey)

Report circulated to members and copy attached to file copy of the minutes.

Proposals from Fabric Committee agreed.  Proposed: L Teague; Seconded: C Stilwell; agreed unanimously.

Discussion regarding repairs to St Mary’s in the light of the re-ordering.  It was accepted that urgent repairs must be dealt with.  The Rector assured the members that the Fabric Committee is fully aware of the difficult balance between prioritising repairs and overspending.

9. ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT/CARETAKING AT ST JOHN’S

Time scale reported to the PCC for application process for admin assistant.  Interviews will take place on 18 October.  The successful candidate will work from the Rectory.  This is the best way forward in view of the fact that he/she will be working closely with the Rector.  It is regrettable but not practical that he/she will not be based St John’s.

Redistribution of caretaking duties agreed.  J Derbyshire will organise rota.  A Stilwell has agreed to continue to take the weekly collection to the bank.

10. FOUNDATION GOVERNOR FOR ST JOHN’S SCHOOL

The members were asked to think if they knew anyone who might be interested in fulfilling this very interesting and rewarding role.  The appointee does not have to be a regular churchgoer.

11. ST JOHN’S CHURCHYARD REGULATIONS

A Stilwell proposed and L Teague seconded that the new sets of churchyard regulations (one set for families of bereaved written in appropriate style and one for funeral directors) be approved.  Agreed unanimously.

12. MISSION ACTION PLAN

The church guide for St Mary’s is to be updated.  C Hair has offered to be involved in this.  It would appear that the guide has sold out and the Secretary will find out whether anyone has a copy that can be used to update rather than having to start from scratch.

13. FRIENDS OF ST MARY’S

C Hair reported the following recent events that have been organised by the Friends:

Three concerts this year
Very successful talk by Anne Widdecombe
Vintage Tea Party
Coffee mornings every Tuesday in the church (until the end of September)

The shop continues to thrive and more concerts are organised.

Apart from the considerable amount of money raised from the events, the presence of the Friends and the events which they organise plays a significant part in raising awareness of the church in the town.

The PCC members expressed their appreciation of all the hard work that is done by the Friends.  The Secretary to write a letter to this effect.

14. ANY OTHER BUSINESS

A Gift Aid Officer is still being sought as Brian Herrington, who no longer lives in Totnes, wishes to pass on the duties.  Members to let L Birch know of anyone who might be interested.  It was agreed that it would be helpful for more of the regular givers to enter into the Parish Giving Scheme as it would lighten the duties of the Gift Aid Officer.

Heritage Open Day – Thursday 8 September – Church to be greeting visitors and bell ringers from 9.00 onwards.

The meeting finished at 8.55 pm.  Grace was said.

DATES OF FUTURE MEETINGS
Wednesday 9 November 2016 – St Mary’s Parish Hall
Wednesday 8 March 2017 – St John’s, Bridgetown
Wednesday 26 April 2017 (Annual Meeting) – St John’s, Bridgetown


Pcc Secretary: Lynne Birch, Golden Oktober, Jubilee Road, Totnes TQ9 5BP
Tel: 01803 840259 Email: Lynne Birch

REGISTERED CHARITY NO 1128123


download as doc
download as pdf


Advertisements