EVENTS over the last couple of weeks have been very successful and much enjoyed, a tribute to all the hard work that goes into them behind the scenes. Things are a little quieter now for the rest of July, though if you’re feeling energetic or just fancy some fresh-air fun, head to Longmarsh next Sunday afternoon for some canoe racing, in aid of Totnes Caring (who, by the way, urgently need drivers – see below)
Later the same day, there’s the ever-popular Choral Evensong, featuring the St Mary’s Choir, this time with musical direction by Ian Curror. A newly-added event at St Mary’s (23rd July) is a concert with theatrical scenes – Music and Shakespeare.
The Beetroot café will be sharing light lunch and stories again near the end of this month, at St Mary’s Church Hall. Summer is here (in theory) and if this weather keeps up, visitors will be looking for places indoors to explore; help make sure St Mary’s Church looks its best inside and out by joining in with the working team on 29th July. Rounding off this month is a Team Service at St David’s in the picturesque village of Ashprington.
• scroll down for more about all of the above
Several events have posters to download and print – if you can do so and display them, it really helps increase attendance and awareness of what’s going on!
Proving just how much the Vintage Tea Afternoon was enjoyed, we’ve received a third batch of photos, focussing on not only those who came to drink tea but also the Tea Team who brewed and served it (along with some super-delicious cakes). Also recently uploaded are two sets of minutes from recent PCC meetings, links are below or find them plus documents from previous meetings under the News menu.
Liz Waterson’s Community News section includes, as always, some at-a-glance reminders of ways to get involved with things, and where to find essential information. This time there’s a special request for extra care when donating items for the Food Bank – plus some forward dates for your diary, for the Crosspark Book Club.
Lastly for now, for those who haven’t picked up a print copy, the July, extended version of Julian Hall’s Parish Newsletter can now be downloaded. A link and a contents list are at the foot of this post.
• Many thanks to everyone who has sent us information and images.
SPECIAL SERVICES in Totnes, Ashprington & Bridgetown
Sunday 17th July at 6.30pm
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
Music by Ayleward, Dyson, Don James and Charles Wood.
• musical director Ian Curror
• officiant The Rector
• this is the last Evensong before we take a break for summer
• read about St Mary’s Choir
NEW: Sunday 31st July at 10.30am
St David’s Church, Ashprington
• no 9.30am / 11.15am services at St John’s, Bridgetown /
St Mary’s, Totnes on this day
• if you need or can offer a lift, please contact one of the church wardens
• St David’s Church is one of our Team Churches
NEW: Very advance notice!
On Sunday 11th September, there will be no 11.15am service at St Mary’s, Totnes. Instead, there will be a Eucharist to celebrate our Patronal Festival at 6.30pm that evening. The following week, on Sunday 18th September, we will be welcoming our new Curate, Steve Jones, at the 11.15am service.
Please write these dates in your diaries now!
HM THE QUEEN’S 90th BIRTHDAY – Vintage Afternoon Tea
Yet more photographs have arrived of last month’s Vintage Afternoon Tea event (and the associated floral and photographic tributes to HRH The Queen).
On the principle that one cannot have too much tea, we have pleasure in presenting them here. Photo credits: Pip & Mike Shail, who popped back from Spain for a little while.
• click the photos to enlarge them
• or click here to view them all-at-once on a gallery page, along with other views from the same event
PCC MINUTES from two meetings, now online
TWO SETS OF MINUTES from PCC meetings earlier this year have just been uploaded. You can view the documents as web pages, or download them to read / print offline if you prefer.
UPCOMING & UPDATED EVENTS – in and around Totnes & Bridgetown
Saturday 16th July at 7.30pm
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
in aid of Friends of St Mary’s
Piano recital by
Programme to include:
Mozart Fantasy in D minor, Rachmaninov Sonata no 2 in B flat minor, Argentinian dances, Stravinsky Tango & Vladislav Shoot.
We are delighted to welcome back Veronika.
See the Events page for her bio and other details.
• tickets £10 from We Got Tickets or on the door
• much more about Veronika here, including a chance to hear some of her music
NEW: Saturday 23rd July at 11am
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
MUSIC and SHAKESPEARE
Concert for cello and piano interspersed with scenes from Shakespeare, by Theo and Lucy Curtin and friends.
• tickets £5, includes coffee & biscuits available from 10.30am
Monday 25th July from 12.30pm to 3.30pm
St Mary’s Church Hall, Totnes
Join us for a light lunch, whilst sharing stories of the food of your life. Make recordings for a radio broadcast, eat, learn and celebrate together.
• a Food in Community voluntary project seeking to help older members of the community – they also bring fresh vegetables gleaned from Riverford to the Food Bank every week
• no need to book
• further information from David on 07702 727009
• help promote this project by downloading the printable poster
NEW: Friday 29th July from 10am to 12noon
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
CHURCH WORKING PARTY
Please come along and help to make sure that our church is looking beautiful, inside and out, for its many summer visitors.
• everyone welcome, even if only for a short time!
NEW: Friday 26th & Saturday 27th August
(Bank Holiday Weekend)
Totnes – various venues
For your diary: a festival, featuring films, literature, talks and plenty of music across five venues, including St Mary’s Church.
• watch this space for more details
COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
Church Working Party
Help needed – Friday 29th July, more details under Upcoming Events (above)
We conclude our House Group meetings before our summer break with a retreat at Buckfast Abbey, from 10am on Tuesday 12th July – if you are interested and want to know more contact Liz Waterson 01803 849345.
We will restart on Tuesday 20th September 2pm (venue to be decided) and 7.30pm at 3 Sparrow Road.
• contact Liz Waterson for further details: 01803 849345
Crosspark Book Club – forward dates for your diary
Monday 1st August The Storied Life of A J Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (facilitated by Graham Cane)
Venue: Lynne Birch, Golden Oktober, Jubilee Road, Totnes TQ9 5BP
Monday 3rd October Perfect by Rachel Joyce
Venue: Crosspark Facilitated by Graham & Gaye?
Monday 5th December Relics by Pip Vaughan-Hughes (with the author??)
Venue: Crosspark, facilitated by Michael Heather
Monday 6 February The House on The Strand by Daphne Du Maurier
Venue: Crosspark, facilitated by Mandy Barfoot
Monday 3rd April Charlotte Gray by Sebastian Faulks
(Venue: tba, not at Crosspark)
Monday 5th June Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale
Venue: Crosspark, facilitated by Debbie Parsons
Monday 7th August Island Wife: Living on the Edge of the Wild by Judy Fairbairns
(Venue: tba, not at Crosspark)
We are really desperate for more volunteer drivers and I was wondering if any of your wonderful parishioners would be interested. If you have a little time to spare and are interested in becoming a volunteer car driver for Totnes Caring, please contact Sue Alford or Jacquie Mills on 01803 865684 or email us.
Thanking you in advance – Jan
• download a printable poster
Food Bank Items
Please check the sell by dates on food bank items.
I have to go through all the gifts and remove those that are out of date, empty the cans and then recycle – rather messy work. Any out of date food sent to the Food Bank which has to be disposed of by them has to be paid for. Also, very sadly, we are unable to give homemade gifts as there is provenance or dating. This is not problem at our fairs or coffee mornings, because purchaser and seller deal directly with one another. Any gifts, if you are unable to leave them in St Mary’s Church, may be left at any time in my porch. I am also collecting duvets and blankets and clothes for Mark, who will be opening the Drop In as a night shelter this winter.
• further information: Liz Waterson 01803 84934 32 Copland Meadows TQ9 6ER
• remember, we would love to receive more toiletries and household cleaning products!
Dartington & Brooking booklet
Now that Wild Monastics no longer meet at Dartington on Wednesdays, the downloadable pdf booklet has been updated to reflect this.
• click here to download the new version
• more information about Dartington & Brooking is under the Team Churches menu
Coffee at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
Servers needed! It seems that quite a few people like drinking coffee after the service, but not many like serving it… Please contact one of the team if you’d like to help – otherwise it’s something that will disappear, which would be a shame!
WWI Tour and the History of Bruges, Arras & Lille
Five days from £389, from 3rd October 2016
Pick-up point Totnes Rail Station
There are still one or two places available on this tour, which is being organised by Carmen Luscombe on behalf of the Devon Federation of Women’s Institutes. Family and friends are all welcome (several husbands are already coming!).
• for more details contact Carmen Luscombe on 01803 864514 or email Carmen
PARISH NEWSLETTER – the July issue is online
Parish News July 2016 – this month’s newsletter, compiled and designed by Julian Hall, features 20 pages full of news, articles and information. Many thanks to the new and regular advertisers* in the latest edition!
This issue includes:
- A Right Royal Occasion – photos from June’s Vintage Tea Afternoon
- She Had Always Lived by the Sea – by the Reverend Gill Still
- My Vision for the Magazine – by Julian Hall
- It’s Just a Happy Thought – by the Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- Veronika Shoot – biography of the prodigious Russiamn pianist
- Eileen Hunt – a tribute by Joy Hanson
- Church of England Devon – good news from the Diocese of Exeter
- Mission to Melanesia – report of a trip by local clergy
- Step by Step with God – Deborah Bayliss tells of her gratitude for God’s help and the support of others
- Time to be Refreshed – by the Ven Douglas Dettmer, Archdeacon of Totnes
- Handling Loneliness – another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both churches), see also UCB’s website
Totnes Food Bank
Please remember the changes in the provision of Emergency Food Parcels at Market Place Ministries (opposite the Drop In): Totnes Food Bank opening times are now Tuesday to Thursday between 10am and 3pm.
• click here to download a printable poster
Food Bank collections
You can bring your food bank donations – especially toiletries and cleaning products please – to any Sunday service at St Mary’s Church.
No need to wait for the first Sunday of the month! Many thanks to everyone who donates – your help is greatly appreciated.
• please check all sell-by dates!
• further information from Liz Waterson on 01803 84934
• more about Totnes Food Bank here
You can now download an invoice (Word document), updated February 2016, for the core costs (Service, Marriage Certificate, Calling of Banns, optional Banns Certificate and heating if applicable) of a Wedding Service provided by the Totnes Team Ministry.
• full details HERE
• if anyone would like to send us photos from their wedding service, we’d love to have some to post on the website.
Clergy days off
Thursdays (Reverend Julian C Ould) and Fridays (Reverend Debbie Parsons) – please respect this by not contacting them on those days!
The Cross in Your Pocket
Several of our ladies have been embroidering pocket crosses – they are free and can be found in St George’s Chapel.
They have been extremely popular and we have received many thanks for them. If you would like to help make some more, please contact Jean Marr on: 01803 847839
• the beautiful cross pictured left (click to enlarge) was made by one of the stewards at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
at St John’s Church, every Friday 5pm to 5.45pm
• all welcome
Every third Thursday of the month at The Seven Stars, between 10am and 12noon. Meet at the large table at the back, behind the bar, for coffee, etc.
• contact Anne Binns for more information on 01803 840146
Would you like to have a roast lunch at the Albert Inn, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday of the month, with members of St John’s and St Mary’s churches?
• to book, please ring Anne Binns on 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday
The Meditation Group meets at St John’s Church, Bridgetown, on the 2nd Friday of each month, from 7.30pm to 9pm.
• everyone is welcome to attend this informal group
• enquiries to Tricia Stokes on 01803 762158
Pennies for Heaven
There is a collection box at the back of St John’s Church, Bridgetown, every Sunday for your pennies and two-pennies.
The box is titled ‘Pennies for Heaven’.
For further information on any of the above Community News items, please contact Liz Waterson on 01803 849345, or email Liz