THE RECENT VINTAGE AFTERNOON TEA, along with the floral and photographic tributes for the Queen’s 90th birthday, was very well-attended and there are two sets of photographs below. Also in pictures is the recent Cycle Marathon which raised over £600 for Rowcroft Hospice.
THIS COMING WEEKEND there’s a a colourful talk with the charismatic Ann Widdecombe, on Saturday. On Sunday, there’s a United Service at St Mary’s, Totnes (no service at St John’s on this day), followed a couple of hours later by a Lunchtime Concert with a performance of pianists and vocalists – if you want to attend both, there’ll be teas and coffees available in-betweentimes.
The very popular Beetroot café will be sharing light lunch and stories again towards the end of this month, at St Mary’s Church Hall.
JULY EVENTS begin with a Christian Festival on Vire Island offering “a feast” of food, drink, music, messages, exhibitions and fun – and then, next day, there’s the Deanery Confirmation at Marldon Church (ticket numbers are limited, please let Julian or Debbie know if you are interested – adults or children).
NEWLY ADDED for Thursday 7th July is a 3rd Commissioning Service for Totnes Street Pastors – note there’s an RSVP on this event.
Scroll down for more about all of the above…
Several events have posters to download and print – if you can do so and display them, it really helps increase attendance and awareness of what’s going on!
LIZ WATERSON’S Community News section rounds off this post with, as always, some at-a-glance reminders of ways to get involved with things and where to find essential information. • Many thanks to everyone who has sent us information and images.
VINTAGE AFTERNOON TEA – photographs and a thank you
A sincere thank you to everyone who supported this very well-attended event (sorry about the wait to be served!) and to all those who generously contributed and worked so hard. Special gratitude to the wonderful pianists and Jan Dietz on the organ who proved to be ‘the icing on the cake’. Sandra Nicholson
• photos by Martin Harvey, click them to enlarge
HM THE QUEEN’S 90th BIRTHDAY – floral and photographic tributes
Some behind the scenes photographs showing the hard work and artistry that went into arranging the flowers and photographs, and also preparations for the Vintage Afternoon Tea event (see above) – many thanks to everyone who contributed and took part in making these beautiful and much-admired displays.
• click the photos to enlarge them
• or click here to view them all-at-once on a gallery page
ROWCROFT CYCLE MARATHON – fundraising feedback
SPECIAL SERVICE in Totnes
UPCOMING & UPDATED EVENTS – in and around Totnes & Bridgetown
Saturday 25th June at 11.00am
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
a Friends of St Mary’s Coffee Talk
A MORNING WITH ANN WIDDECOMBE
in aid of the Stained Glass Window Restoration
“A Light-Hearted Talk about Her Life and Experiences”
You will also be able to buy signed copies of Ann’s books
• home-made cake & coffee on sale from 10.30am
• admission £5
• download the printable poster
Sunday 26th June at 1.30pm
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
performance of pianists and vocalists, presented by
Ekaterina Shetliffe & Donna-Marie Broomfield
• admission free (voluntary donations to the church)
• teas and coffees available
• download a printable poster
Monday 27th June from 12.30pm to 3.30pm
St Mary’s Church Hall, Totnes
Join us for a light lunch, whilst sharing stories of the food of your life. Make recordings for a radio broadcast, eat, learn and celebrate together.
• a Food in Community voluntary project seeking to help older members of the community – they also bring fresh veg gleaned from Riverford to the Food Bank every week
• no need to book
• further information from David on 07702 727009
• help promote this project by downloading the printable poster
Saturday 2nd July from 3pm to 7pm
Vire Island, Totnes
One Church Totnes presents
TOTNES CHRISTIAN FESTIVAL 2016
Totnes United Free Church has booked Vire Island for a celebration of Christian life in Totnes. This day will be a feast of live music, inspirational messages, local food and drink, exhibitions of local initiatives and family fun!
“The Christian community is thriving in the area, and serving the town in so many unseen ways through creative grass-roots initiatives. All of these initiatives are expressions of our belief in a good and generous God who loves to bless and to release people into wholeness. Join us on Saturday 2nd July as we celebrate the goodness of God.“
– Ade (Pastor of Totnes United Free Church) • website
REMINDER: Sunday 3rd July at 3pm
• tickets are available, but limited in numbers – please let Julian or Debbie know if you are interested (children or adults)
Saturday 9th July
from 11am to 12noon
refreshments available from 10.30am
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
for Soprano, Violin & Piano
The concert will feature works by European and South American composers.
Yulia Northridge, a virtuoso violinist alongside concert pianist Ekaterina Shetliffe, both Russian-born, will perform:
Sonata in G-major for piano and violin No. 2 Op. 13 by Grieg,
Gypsy Airs by Saraste,
Tango “Por Una Cabeza” by Gardel, and
Hot Canary by Zabach.
Claudia Alvarez Calderón, Peruvian coloratura soprano, will sing well known arias, accompanied by Ekaterina Shetliffe, including:
Juliette’s Waltz from Roméo et Juliette by Gounod
Je Suis Titania from Mignon by Thomas
Canción del Ruiseñor from Doña Francisquita by Vives
La Ramilletera by Rosa Mercedes Ayarza de Morales
• tickets £10 (under-16s free with accompanying adult) – available on the door
or call 07505 884271
• for more information on the performers click here and here
• download a printable poster
Saturday 16th July at 7.30pm
St Mary’s Church, Totnes
in aid of Friends of St Mary’s
Piano recital by
Programme to include:
Mozart Fantasy in D minor, Rachmaninov Sonata no 2 in B flat minor, Argentinian dances, Stravinsky Tango & Vladislav Shoot.
We are delighted to welcome back Veronika.
See the Events page for her bio and other details.
• tickets £10 from We Got Tickets or on the door
• more about Veronika here, including a chance to hear some of her music
COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
The Jam Factory
Damson jam and marmalade will be on sale this Sunday – so come and buy, and get your summer cream teas off to a great start. Thank you!
Coffee at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
Servers needed! It seems that quite a few people like drinking coffee after the service, but not many like serving it… Please contact one of the team if you’d like to help – otherwise it’s something that will disappear, which would be a shame!
The groups are continuing to discuss Mark Greene’s book, Fruitfulness on the Frontline – Making a difference where you are.
We usually meet every 2 weeks.
• afternoon 28th June and again on 12th July (no 14th June meeting due to absences), 2pm to 3.30pm at Ann Binn’s house: 8 Roswells Lane – further details from Mary on 01803 840146
• evening 28th June, 7.30pm to 9pm at 3 Sparrow Road, Totnes – further details from Tony & Carolyn Stilwell on 01803 863030
REMINDER: On Tuesday 12th July we are having a Retreat Day at Buckfastleigh, 10am to 3pm, with lunch at the Restaurant. The retreat will be led by Reverend Valerie Price and will focus on the work of the Holy Spirit.
• contact Liz Waterson for further details: 01803 849345
Crosspark Book Club
Next Book Club Meeting is on Monday 27th June at St John’s Vicarage, Crosspark.
The book we shall be discussing is The Children Act by Ian McEwan.
Martin Harvey will be facilitating that discussion.
WWI Tour and the History of Bruges, Arras & Lille
Five days from £389, from 3rd October 2016
Pick-up point Totnes Rail Station
There are still one or two places available on this tour, which is being organised by Carmen Luscombe on behalf of the Devon Federation of Women’s Institutes. Family and friends are all welcome (several husbands are already coming!).
• for more details contact Carmen Luscombe on 01803 864514 or email Carmen
PARISH NEWSLETTER – the June issue is online
Parish News June 2016 – this month’s newsletter, compiled and designed by Julian Hall, features a whopping 24 pages full of news, articles and information. Many thanks to the new and regular advertisers* in the latest edition!
This issue includes:
- Making Choices – by Reverend Debbie Parsons
- It’s Just a Restful Thought – by the Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- What Causes Discouragement? – another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both churches), see also UCB’s website
- Walk The Extra Mile – a new community for people aged 18 to 30
- Bishops Set Off – over the next 9 months, three local bishops will be visiting people, parishes and projects
- Letter from Pip and Mike Shail – a mid-year report from their home in Spain
- Queen’s Birthday Celebrations – how communities and churches across the UK are responding
- Open Hearts, Open Borders – reflections by Director of Church & Society Martyn Goss
- A Royal Heavenly Banquet – by the Very Reverend Julian Draper, Dean of Exeter
- Installation of Prebendaries at Exeter Cathedral – Reverends Julian C Ould and Cate Edmonds
Totnes Food Bank
Please remember the changes in the provision of Emergency Food Parcels at Market Place Ministries (opposite the Drop In): Totnes Food Bank opening times are now Tuesday to Thursday between 10am and 3pm.
• click here to download a printable poster
Food Bank collections
You can bring your food bank donations – especially toiletries and cleaning products please – to any Sunday service at St Mary’s Church.
No need to wait for the first Sunday of the month! Many thanks to everyone who donates – your help is greatly appreciated.
• please check all sell-by dates!
• further information from Liz Waterson on 01803 84934
• more about Totnes Food Bank here
You can now download an invoice (Word document), updated February 2016, for the core costs (Service, Marriage Certificate, Calling of Banns, optional Banns Certificate and heating if applicable) of a Wedding Service provided by the Totnes Team Ministry.
• full details HERE
• if anyone would like to send us photos from their wedding service, we’d love to have some to post on the website.
Clergy days off
Thursdays (Reverend Julian C Ould) and Fridays (Reverend Debbie Parsons) – please respect this by not contacting them on those days!
The Cross in Your Pocket
Several of our ladies have been embroidering pocket crosses – they are free and can be found in St George’s Chapel.
They have been extremely popular and we have received many thanks for them. If you would like to help make some more, please contact Jean Marr on: 01803 847839
• the beautiful cross pictured left (click to enlarge) was made by one of the stewards at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
at St John’s Church, every Friday 5pm to 5.45pm
• all welcome
Every third Thursday of the month at The Seven Stars, between 10am and 12noon. Meet at the large table at the back, behind the bar, for coffee, etc.
• contact Anne Binns for more information on 01803 840146
Would you like to have a roast lunch at the Albert Inn, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday of the month, with members of St John’s and St Mary’s churches?
• to book, please ring Anne Binns on 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday
The Meditation Group meets at St John’s Church, Bridgetown, on the 2nd Friday of each month, from 7.30pm to 9pm.
• everyone is welcome to attend this informal group
• enquiries to Tricia Stokes on 01803 762158
Pennies for Heaven
There is a collection box at the back of St John’s Church, Bridgetown, every Sunday for your pennies and two-pennies.
The box is titled ‘Pennies for Heaven’.
For further information on any of the above Community News items, please contact Liz Waterson on 01803 849345, or email Liz