WE’VE ADDED a few new events below, alongside other upcoming events: a march and candlelit vigil in Totnes next Monday, to mark the 5th anniversary of the start of the Syrian conflict; a Women’s Institute meeting in Dartington a few days later, with a special guest speaker; and in mid-April, a choral concert at St John’s Church, Bridgetown, with The Carlotti Singers.
Coming back to more imminent events, Messy Church at St John’s is on Saturday 12th March. And note that this Sunday (13th March) there’s a Charity Sunday service at St John’s Church, in aid of Totnes Caring – and on the same day (also in aid of Totnes Caring) at 7.30pm there’s a concert at Dartington Hall with The Devonly Voices Choir and The TQ9 Jazz Band.
For more details about all of the above, please scroll down.
Last but not least, Liz Waterson brings us the latest Community News, including feedback from fundraising, dates for forthcoming meetings, and the March edition of the Parish Newsletter.
SPECIAL SERVICE in Bridgetown
Sunday 13th March at 9.30am
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
United Service of
HOLY COMMUNION with HYMNS
Charity Sunday: TOTNES CARING
Speaker: Bob Alford, Chief Officer
Celebrant: Reverend John Luscombe
• no 11.15am service at St Mary’s Church, Totnes on this day
• the plate collection will be donated to the charity – please remember to bring cash or a cheque for the collection
DAMSON JAM, MARMALADE & PICKLED ONIONS will still be available to buy on Sundays.
• so far, the selling of jams and other produce has raised over £800, which has been ploughed back into the church in various ways
EASTER LILIES: It has been the custom in previous years to ask for donations to purchase Lilies for Easter. This may be in remembrance of someone dear or just a gift to beautify the Church at this important time in the Church calendar.
• if you would like to make a donation towards purchases, please speak to either Gina Rogers or Geraldine Winter – any contributions would be warmly received
NEW & UPCOMING EVENTS in Totnes & Bridgetown
Saturday 12th March from 3.30pm to 5.30pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
We had a great time at the February session!
theme this time: Jesus and the Tax Man
If you’re helping with arts and crafts please come as early as you can, from 2.30pm onwards.
• small cakes are needed
• more about Messy Church here
• see some photos of Messy Church
Sunday 13th March at 7.30pm
The Great Hall, Dartington
DEVONLY VOICES CHOIR + TQ9 JAZZ BAND
In aid of Totnes Caring
• tickets £10 (£8 conc.) from Dartington Box Office
on 01803 847070
NEW: Monday 14th March from 6pm to 8pm
from The Plains to The Civic Square, Totnes
CANDLELIT VIGIL & MARCH
Join us for a candlelit vigil and march, marking the 5th anniversary of the start of the Syrian conflict.
• collecting for Hand in Hand in Syria taking essential aid into Syria.
• please print / share the poster
NEW: Thursday 17th March at 2pm
Dartington Village Hall
DARTINGTON WOMEN’S INSTITUTE MEETING
I would like to invite you to come along to the the Dartvale Group meeting. The Speaker is Kay Rouse, from the charity Mercy Ships, on which she worked for some years, They visit third world countries, giving medical treatment to people who might not otherwise be able to have it. Kind regards, Ann Widger
NEW: Saturday 16th April at 7.30pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
THE COLLATI SINGERS
A programme of light unaccompanied choral music from the 16th, 20th & 21st centuries.
The programme will include madrigals by the great Elizabethan composers such as Gibbons, Morley and Wilbye plus a selection of popular songs written in the 20th century and arranged in jazz style.
• conducted by Trefor Farrow
• free entry, no booking required
• donations invited, proceeds to St John’s Church
• download and display the pdf poster
• further information call 01364 643134 or visit their website
COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
Women’s World Day of Prayer 2016
We raised £206.44 for the WWDofP – £128 of this was Gifted Aided so the final total will be higher. I have sent the money off, and when I hear the final total from WWDofP, I will be in touch again.
Thank you to everyone who made it such a special service and many thanks to Jo for her inspiring reflection and to St Mary’s & St George’s Church for their hospitality and wonderful cakes.
• a request: would anyone be willing to help (make teas, and tidy the toys away) once per month at the Totnes Methodist Parent and Toddler Group, Tuesdays 10am to12noon, term-time only? Please give me a ring on 01803 849345 – Liz
The groups are currently discussing Mark Greene’s book, Fruitfulness on the Frontline – Making a difference where you are. We meet every 2 weeks, and next on 5th April.
Evenings 7.30pm to 9pm at 3 Sparrow Road, Totnes (Tony & Carolyn Stilwell, 01803 863030)
Afternoons 2pm to 3.30pm at 4 Riverside Swallowfields, Mary Harris’ house (for details, ring 01803 865772)
THE PSALMS…Prayers for Today’s Church
(York Course 2016)
Continues at The Rectory: Tuesday 15th March and Tuesday 22nd March.
• you are still welcome to join us!
• if you are interested in attending this group, please contact the Rector on 01803 865615
Parish News March 2016 – this month’s newsletter, compiled and designed by Julian Hall, features 20 pages full of news, articles and information – now online.
This issue includes:
- It’s Not About the Destination, it’s About the Journey – by the Reverend Debbie Parsons
- It’s Just a Little Reminiscence – by the Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- ¡Prospero Año Nuevo! – the latest ‘postcard’ from Pip & Mike Shaill, in Spain
- Symbols Help Us Share the Story – by the Venerable Christopher Futcher, Archdeacon of Exeter
- A Short and Unusual Courtship – by Helga Watts
- A Point of View – a brief, thought-provoking extract from Adam Gopnik’s talk on the above-named BBC programme
- Keeping it Real at Easter and Fairtrade Fortnight 2016 – two articles about the virtues of Fairtrade produce
- The Futility of Fame and Fortune – another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both churches), see also www.ucb.co.uk
- Greetings to You All – an appeal from Pastor Mark Hatch for help towards a project in Kenya
- …and as always, Contact Details, Events, Adverts and Service Times
Food in Community
We held the first of this year’s ‘pay what you feel’ Community Cafés, at the Methodist Church Hall, Fore St, Totnes, on Saturday 6th February. Encouraged by good feedback and a regular following, we have decided to run these on the first Saturday of every month.
• fresh organic food created from surplus produce is served anytime between 12.30pm to 2.30pm
every Tuesday in Lent
Take advantage of the chance to enjoy a simple lunch of soup and bread in aid of charity.
Liz has recently updated her profile, see the Who we are page.
Lenten Appeal for Water Aid
– turn your coins into clean water
Once again, we will be collecting for Water Aid during Lent – the work they do is very important particularly to the peoples of Africa and Asia. Martin Harvey has jar labels and further information, or visit the Water Aid website.
• as per previous years, Martin would like ultimately to be given notes or cheques made out to ‘Water Aid’
• last year’s appeal raised £317.85
Food Bank collections
Remember: You can now bring your food bank donations – especially toiletries and cleaning products please – to any Sunday service at St Mary’s Church.
No need to wait for the first Sunday of the month! Many thanks to everyone who donates – your help is greatly appreciated.
• please check all sell-by dates!
• further information from Liz Waterson on 01803 84934
• more about Totnes Food Bank here
You can now download an invoice (Word document), updated February 2016, for the core costs (Service, Marriage Certificate, Calling of Banns, optional Banns Certificate and heating if applicable) of a Wedding Service provided by the Totnes Team Ministry.
• full details HERE
• if anyone would like to send us photos from their wedding service, we’d love to have some to post on the website.
Clergy days off
Thursdays (Reverend Julian C Ould) and Fridays (Reverend Debbie Parsons) – please respect this by not contacting them on those days!
The Cross in Your Pocket
Several of our ladies have been embroidering pocket crosses – they are free and can be found in St George’s Chapel.
They have been extremely popular and we have received many thanks for them. If you would like to help make some more, please contact Jean Marr on: 01803 847839
• the beautiful cross pictured left (click to enlarge) was made by one of the stewards at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
at St John’s Church, every Friday 5pm to 5.45pm
• all welcome
Every third Thursday of the month at The Seven Stars, between 10am and 12noon. Meet at the large table at the back, behind the bar, for coffee, etc.
• contact Anne Binns for more information on 01803 840146
Would you like to have a roast lunch at the Albert Inn, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday of the month, with members of St John’s and St Mary’s churches?
• to book, please ring Anne Binns on 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday
MEDITATION GROUP The Meditation Group meets at St John’s Church, Bridgetown, on the 2nd Friday of each month, from 7.30pm to 9pm.
• everyone is welcome to attend this informal group
• enquiries to Tricia Stokes on 01803 762158
PENNIES FROM HEAVEN There is a collection box at the back of St John’s Church every Sunday for your pennies and two-pennies.
The box is titled “Pennies for Heaven”.
For further information on any of the above, please contact Liz Waterson on 01803 849345, or email Liz