We wish everyone a very happy 2015!
UPCOMING EVENTS – see Events page for more listings
Saturday 24th January at 11am
at St Mary’s Church, Totnes
The Friends of St Mary’s present a
HOLOCAUST MEMORIAL CONCERT
with Elie Fruchter, Sam Richards, Lona Kozik, Jane Spiro and others
• more details here
Sunday 25th January from 6.30pm to 7.15pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
theme: The Well is Deep – a Week of Prayer for Christian Unity
A continuing initiative of St Mary’s and St John’s churches, held bi-monthly – an opportunity for alternative and creative worship.
• more details here
COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
CHURCHES OVER CHRISTMAS
Many thanks to all those who have cleaned and decorated our churches over Christmas.
This adds so much to our churches and their celebrations and has impressed our many visitors.
So, thank you to all!
CARE GIFT ACCOUNT
From time to time churches and individuals have been giving me money for the Food Bank, the Drop In and for Christians Against Poverty all linked and based in Totnes.
In order to target our donations most effectively, I opened this account so that the amount can grow. Small donations of between £1 and £10 across the team have grown quickly and we have already been able to give £60 to Christians Against Poverty for their Christmas Hamper Scheme.
If you would like to give a small donation, just put it in a envelope marking it Care Gift Account and drop it the collection box at the back of the church. It will be banked and as soon as we have between £50 and £100, I will contact the charities to see where the money is most needed.
• more about Care Gift Account here
• telephone Liz Waterson on 01803 849345 or email Liz
*Just in – Update on the Care Gift for 2014*
Not all the money that I receive is banked – some comes in cash and is directly assigned so that I hand over the money at source as it were, but I make a note of all donations.
Over this year (from Jan 2014) The Totnes Team Ministry has given £1,706 in charitable donations J
All our churches also give regularly to the Food Bank as well and Carol comes each Sunday to collect food from my porch. I also get donations of clothes and bedding for the Drop In and eggs from Cornworthy each week that go to several groups.
The AFTERNOON HOUSE GROUP will meet at Margaret Beckwith’s house: Greystones (in St John’s Car Park) on Tuesday 20th January at 2pm.
• for further details, telephone Margaret on 01803 862783
• more about House Groups here
TABLE TALK Coffee Mornings
Seven Stars, Totnes
Meet at the large table at the back, behind the bar. A chance for people to connect socially and to get to know each other better.
• meets every 3rd Thursday of each month from 10am to 12noon
• contact Anne Binns for more information on 01803 840146
If you would like to have a roast lunch at the Albert Inn, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday in the month, with members of St. John’s and St. Mary’s Churches.
• please ring Liz Balkwill 01803 863355 or Anne Binns 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday.
[see the previous News blog post for other recent Community News]
The JANUARY 2015 NEWSLETTER is now online…
This issue includes:
- A New Makeover – by the Reverend Debbie Parsons
- It’s Just a Thought – by the Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- A Seminar at Yad Vashem, November 2014 – at Yad Vashem, the Holocaust memorial and research centre in Jerusalem
- The Story of Justin (part 14) – by Helga Watts (see past newsletters for preceding parts)
- New Year, New Beginnings – by Jonathan Draper, Dean of Exeter
- Katie’s Adventure with God – ‘her faith came alive and real when she took her family on a three-month trip to the Solomon Islands two years ago’
- We Saw and We Came – by Preb Richard Bewes
- The New Year 2015 – poem by Megan Carter
- Are you looking for a Bible passage to get you through 2015? – Psalm 1:2-3
- The Burning Bush – poem by Nigel Beeton
- Word for Today: Be a Finisher – another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both Churches), see also www.ucb.co.uk
- Breaking Free from Addiction – finding God in the struggle
- Jesus – poem by Sam Doubtfire
- A Point of View: Why not caring about anything is only for the young – by Will Self
- Prayer for God’s Love to Sustain Us – by Daphne Kitching
- …and as always, Contact Details, Events, Adverts and Service Times