COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
Weddings: the Totnes Team Ministry wedding invoice has been updated for 2015 and is downloadable from the Weddings page.
A few reminders:
• Tuesday Afternoon House Group will meet at 2pm on Tuesday 9th December at Greystones in St John’s Car Park (Margaret Beckwith’s home)
• Every Friday 5pm – 5.45pm, prayer at St John’s Church – all welcome.
• Every third Thursday of the month at The Seven Stars between 10am and 12 noon. Meet at the large table at the back , behind the bar, for coffee etc. Contact Anne Binns for more information on 01803 840146.
• Sunday lunches – if you would like to have a roast lunch at the Albert Inn, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday of the month with members of St John’s and St Mary’s, please ring Anne Binns on 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday.
• The Meditation Group meets at St John’s, Bridgetown, from 7.30 – 9 p.m. on the 2nd Friday of every month. Everyone is welcome to attend this informal group! The next meeting is on Friday 14 November. Enquiries to Tricia Stokes 01803 762158.
• There will be jam on sale after coffee at St Mary’s. Don’t miss this opportunity to get one of the last few jars!
Brass cleaning: Many, many thanks to all those who helped at St Mary’s this week. There were plenty of people there, so cleaning finished in record time!
Food Bank: This Sunday is the first Sunday of the month – so please leave your contributions in the box inside St Mary’s church! Anything you bring is still very much appreciated and distributed to the really needy. Please make sure that foods are still “in date”.
• more about the Food Bank here
Christians Against Poverty: Fraser Nute has taken over as Totnes representative for CAP.
• more details here
St John’s Church lettings: hire charges will be going up by £1 an hour from January 2015. We will be updating the details on the lettings page and will also be adding some extra photos of the spaces available to hire.
• see the existing photos in the gallery
MONTHLY NEWSLETTER – the December issue is now online
This issue includes:
- Christmas Message for the Totnes Team – by the Reverend Julian C Ould
- It’s Just a Thought – by the Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- The Story of Justin (part 13) – by Helga Watts (see past newsletters for preceding parts)
- News from the Friends of St Mary’s – by Julian Hall, Hon. Secretary
- Word for Today: ‘The Word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time.’ Jonah 3:1
– another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both Churches), see also www.ucb.co.uk
- Caring at Christmas – by Robert Exon, Diocese of Exeter
- What Have You Called Him? – Lester Amman considers the naming of Jesus
- The Story Behind the Hymn: O Come, All ye Faithful
– Nobody knows who wrote this well-loved Christmas Carol
- Prayer for Christmas Presence – At this busy time of year, help us to remember the important things.
- …and as always, Contact Details, Events, Adverts and Service Times