TWO NEW WW1 CENTENARY GALLERIES of photographs taken inside St Mary’s Church, Totnes are now online, featuring the wonderful floral displays – plus detailed views of the exhibition boards with their archival photographs, and also the rows of printed tributes remembering local servicemen.
View ALL the photos in the galleries via the links below:
• WW1 flowers + tributes
• WW1 exhibitions
ALSO NOW ONLINE are some photographs from the 2014 SUMMER FETE (Saturday 2nd August 2014) in and around St Mary’s Church, Totnes.
• despite the uncertain weather, this year’s fete raised £1555
• read more about the Fete here
• click here to view ALL the photographs in the gallery
The August 2014 edition of the monthly newsletter with 12 pages full of news, articles and information is now online.
This issue includes:
- Thoughts on war and peace, from Reverend Julian C Ould
- It’s Just a Thought, by Reverend Cliff Berdinner
- New Chapter in Life of Church in Devon – BIshop Robert’s installation at Exeter Cathedral
- The Story of Justin (part 9), by Helga Watts (see past newsletters for preceding parts)
- Dick’s Life Helping Others – a look back at a life of giving and caring
- Nurturing Faith in Young People by Nick McKinnel, Bishop of Crediton
- Open the Book Project by Chris Grimshaw
- Word for Today: Don’t Lose Your Compassionate Edge – another extract from UCB’s Word For Today booklet (available free in both Churches), see also www.ucb.co.uk
- The Environment: How Much Do We Really Care About It? by Julian Hall
- How St Peter Became ‘The Rock’ by Reverend Richard Bewes
- Facing Up to Our Giants (part 3) – Paul Hardingham continues his series on the life of David (see past newsletters for preceding parts)
- …and as always, Contact Details, Events, Adverts and Service Times
To download in pdf format right-click HERE (ctrl+click Mac) Or click on the thumbnail to read it online.
• remember you can advertise in the newsletter
• back issues of the newsletter are also available here
ST MARY’S CHOIR
DURING THE MONTH OF AUGUST, the Choir continues to rehearse on Fridays, but takes a well earned break from Sunday duty.
• services will continue to be sung but without the usual lead from the choir
COMMUNITY NEWS with Liz Waterson
CROSSPARK BOOK CLUB: The next book that we will be discussing on Monday 6 October from 7pm- 9pm at The Vicarage is Sarah`s Key by Gilles Paquet-Brenner. Please come with ideas for what we might read in future meetings.
• contact Reverend Debbie Parsons if you’d like to come along, on 01803 840113 or email Debbie
TOTNES POUND has a new page (under the Community menu) with details and photos of the relaunch of the town’s alternative currency scheme.
The Totnes Pound is currently a physical local currency, backed by Sterling and accepted in 70+ businesses in the town. It’s administered as part of the Transition Town Totnes initiative.
Project aim: To make sure that wealth stays in the community where it will can be used in a more conscientious way with lower carbon impact, lower ecological impact and higher resilience.
HOUSE GROUP: The Tuesday afternoon group meets bimonthly, from 2pm to 3 30pm
Over the next few meetings we have a change of venue:
Tuesday 2nd Sept: 8 Rowsell’s Lane – Ann Binns 840164
Tuesday 16th and 30th September – Greystones (house situated in St John’s car park) Margaret Beckwith: 862783
• please note, we are a chapter behind and will be looking at Chapter 4 on September 2nd
• further information from Liz Waterson on 01803 849345 or email Liz
• more about House Groups here
Sunday 21 September at 9.30 pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
For our next Charity Sunday we will be welcoming Families for Children to St Mary’s and St John’s joint service.
• there will be no 11.15am service at St Mary’s Church, Totnes on this day
• Families for Children website