ANNUAL PARISHIONERS & PCC MEETINGS
Wednesday 9th April at 7.30 pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
THE ANNUAL MEETING OF PARISHIONERS
Election of churchwardens and deputy wardens, followed by
THE ANNUAL PAROCHIAL CHURCH MEETING
Election of the PCC – Reports
• please make every effort to attend this important meeting
• nomination forms for churchwardens and PCC members are available at the back of St Mary’s and St John’s Churches
• please complete and return to Lynne Birch or one of the churchwardens before the meeting
COMMUNITY NEWS: feedback + help needed
STREET PASTOR BASE is now at the Quaker Meeting House all year round.
We have 2 new Prayer Pastors who pray for the Street Pastors as they go out around the town, take phones calls and make the mid shift snack. They are Laurence and Kathi Greene for St David’s Asphrington.
• Advance notice – please come to our Commissioning Service on 1st June (see Community News page for details).
Carole continues to be busy and she and her team deliver weekly shops to families and individuals in Totnes and the surrounding parishes.
Carole has given so much of her time, money and energy to the scheme and your support is greatly valued. They run on a shoe string and the mobile contact number for help is Carole’s personal mobile. If she is not there (she works full time) just leave a message and your query will be answered.
Recently one of our members from Cornworthy has joined Carole on a delivery trip and find out more. Trays of Sue Stevens’ Cornworthy free range eggs are also delivered to the Food Bank, Drop In and Daisy Family Centre each week and are greatly appreciated.
- Food Bank: 0785 4629502
- In emergency the Daisy Family Centre at St John’s School has supplies of food and clothing for families: 01803 864737
- Mark has supplies of food at the Drop In (Monday – Friday, 9.30am – 12.30pm, and lunchtime on Sundays)
During the wild weather Mark has opened the Night Shelter most nights with permission from South Hams District Council and he has stayed each night to supervise. He has been wonderfully blessed by gifts from all our churches and wishes to thank everyone.
SHDC is knocking down the existing buildings that are currently used as a Drop In and Night Shelter and are building a purpose built centre.
Mark is currently confirming some temporary accommodation. However, he is also now linking up with Shekinah Plymouth so in the future, although he will still very much oversee the work he will have all the professional back up that Shekinah Plymouth can give.
- At the moment Mark has plenty of bedding but new underwear, thick socks, warm clothing, toiletries and towels are much appreciated.
Jan Hamilton, part time CAP worker based at Totnes United Free writes:
The lady in need of the washing machine received it last Thursday with big thanks to the Care Gift Account and the CAP Smile fund.
The lady with car problems also got sorted but the cam belt went….so car a write off but help is in the process through a few means.
- Just had a request from one of the debt coaches for a sleeping bag for a clients daughter going on a trip of some sort…if anyone in your congregations has one they want rid of it could be put to good use!
- Also there is another family in need of a washing machine and carpeting / rugs as they have none. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
- Will keep you updated! Please telephone me (Jane Hamilton) on 0759 9423670 if you can help or want more information.
WOMEN’S WORLD DAY OF PRAYER – feedback
Thank you to everyone who came to the Women’s World Day of Prayer to pray for and with the Women of Egypt.
We raised £190 for the many Charities that WWDofP supports, £93 of which was gift aided and so the final total will be over £200.
Next year we will be praying for and with the women of the Bahamas (if only we could manage to have the service in situ!)
– Liz Waterson
COMMUNITY NEWS: reminders
Over the next few months, the Meditation Group will be meeting at St John’s Church, Bridgetown from 7.30 to 9pm, on 21st March (not 14th March) and 11th April.
• everyone is welcome to attend this informal group
• enquiries to Tricia Stokes on 01803 762158
Saturday 12th April from 3.30pm to 5.30pm
St John’s Church, Bridgetown
We had a great time last Saturday (15th March).
The theme this time is Easter.
Messy Church is held monthly and is for Primary school children and their parents or carers. There are craft activities, a short act of child-centred worship and a meal together.
• Messy Church is FREE but donations towards craft materials and food are welcome!
• a gallery of photographs from a past Messy Church is here
• revised future dates: for your diary, future Messy Church dates are
Saturday 24th May, theme The Big Catch
Saturday 14th June, theme Pentecost – Wind and Fire
Saturday 19th July, theme Journeys
• Note also there’ll be no Messy Church in August
If you would like to have a roast lunch at the Prince Albert, Bridgetown, on the first Sunday in the month with members of St. John’s and St. Mary’s Churches, please ring Liz Balkwill 01803 863355 or Anne Binns 01803 840146 by the previous Thursday.
CHARITY SUNDAY:suggestions please
Would you like to nominate a charity for one of our Charity Sundays?
We have vacancies in our programme so suggestions would be very welcome for charities that are reaching out in any way to vulnerable people, either locally, nationally or worldwide.
• email Lynne Birch or telephone Lynne on 01803 840259
LENT 2014 continues until Thursday April 17th
JARS of CHANGE for Lent
Will you give something up this Lent to pump new life into villages devastated by dirty water?
In Sierra Leone, more than 4,000 children die every year from diarrhoea caused by drinking dirty water. 2.6 million people in Sierra Leone don’t have access to safe water. This is nearly half of the population.
• you can help to change this – so get saving now!!!
• £150 is enough to cover the costs of training two pump mechanics to maintain a water pump. £250 is enough to cover the costs of a pump mechanic’s toolkit – the vital equipment needed to keep the pump in good working order
• £340 is enough to fix a broken pump to create a long-lasting source of clean water for a village
• please pick up your Gift Aid envelopes now
LENT GROUPS: THE LORD’S PRAYER
Wednesdays 7.30pm from 12th March onwards
A course for the Christian Journey from the Pilgrim publication.
In addition to the usual House Groups who will be following this course there will also be a Wednesday evening group, 7.30pm at the Rectory, starting on 12th March.
• if you would like to join any of these groups please contact the Rector on 01803 865615 for the Wednesday session, and Liz Waterson on 01803 849345 or Carolyn Stilwell on 01803 863030 for the House Groups