Angela Sumner’s Ordination to the Priesthood, by Bishop Martin Shaw, took place on Sunday 29th September at St Mary’s, Totnes, in front of a very full church congregation.
This was a team service, celebrating with Angela and her family, and welcoming Bishop Martin. Sadly our Archdeacon was unable to attend due to family illness; the Very Reverend Julian C Ould deputised as Commissary for the occasion.
Our very best wishes to Angela for her journey ahead.
- UPDATE: photographs from the ceremony can now be viewed here.
The Choir and Music pages have now had some long overdue updates and revisions. Included on the Choir page is a review of the Choir’s invited attendance at Bishop Michael’s Farewell Service, at Exeter Cathedral in June this year.
Friends of St Mary’s: Lots has been happening for the Friends lately, so we’ve given them a News section on their own page.
St Mary’s Coffee Rota: If you have signed up to help with the coffee on Sundays (several have, thank you) could you PLEASE put your name to a date on the Coffee / Flowers / Events notice board next to the signing-up board. Help and advice will be given if you are new.
The next Food Box collection is on Sunday 6 October, at both the 8am and 11.15am services at St Mary’s Church.
(Market Place Ministries is no longer used as a collection place.)
Liz has asked us to pass on her delight and thanks for the tremendous response to the earlier appeals. Let’s keep going!
This year’s Christmas Fayre at St John’s Church is now only two months away. The Fayre will be opened by the Mayor Cllr Pruw Boswell-Harper on Saturday 30 November at 10am. Proceeds will go to to the St John’s and St Mary’s funds. All offers of help would be greatly appreciated. Please contact John Halliday on 01803 867234, or email John.
- To Everything there is a Season… by Angela Sumner
- Letter and new contact details from Connie Hopwood
- Befriender Training
- Dealing with Conflict – part three in Chris Grimshaw’s series on Relationships
- Whole Life Discipleship – Paul Hardingham continues his series of six articles looking at what it takes to be a disciple
- Don’t Block the Blessing! Prebendary Richard Bewes considers what it means to be a disciple of Jesus
- Get Rid of the ‘Clutter’ – another sample from UCB’s inspirational ‘Word for Today’ booklet
- News about the House Groups, Friends of St Mary’s, St John’s Christmas Fayre
- And the usual contact details and regular service times
You can download or read the Newsletter here, along with recent back issues.
A few reminders…
Afternoon House Group Now running again on alternate Tuesdays with a new course entitled ‘James: A faith that works’. Meets 2pm to 2.30pm at 4 Riverside, Swallowfields, Totnes. All are welcome! Call Liz Waterson 01803 849345
Evening House Group The new course, ‘James: A faith that works’, is now running every two weeks, on alternate Tuesdays, from 7.30pm – 9pm at 3 Sparrow Road. Next meeting: 1 October. All welcome. Contact: Carolyn Stilwell 01803 863030
The Meditation Group at St John’s meets on the second Friday of each month from 7.30- 9pm. Enquiries to Tricia Stokes 01803 762158.
Do you know someone struggling with debt? For free and advice and free confidential help to get out of debt, ring Christians Against Poverty on 0800 328 0006. The service is free and available to everyone.
Need to work off a few calories? Why not come to one of our Working Parties? The next working party will be at St Mary’s Church on Saturday 26 October, any time between 10am and 12noon. Just turn up!
The Totnes Cards for Good Causes charity Christmas card shop (Bogan House, 18 October to 14 December) is in urgent need of volunteers who might be willing to staff the shop for one morning or afternoon a week.
- Anyone interested can call Frances Guy on 01392 439599, or email Frances
Their Cake and Handicrafts Stall is at Birdwood House, Totnes, Friday mornings. Support your local services!
(Photo credit: South Hams District Council.)
- New advertisers include Bob the Bus and also the Charity Christmas Card shop.